Friday, May 21, 2004

A day of writing in my head

Just another day in the office. Well, not really. Dad bought lunch for Mum, himself and I from a shop downstairs from where he and I work, and we brought it home (which is 15 minutes walk from where I stay) to eat, just so we could see the new furniture that Mum and Dad that was delivered today. I must say that the silver screen hall looks much better, and the new seats attaches to the bum quite well, so no more slipping into a slouch while watching films anymore.

Yesterday was pretty interesting. I had attended my first script writing class held by The Actor's Studio, for which I was late for, unfortunately, cause I neglected to read the full address of the classroom that I was suppose to be in, which was in Plaza Damas. Imagine going to a class you know is in Bangsar, but you don't have the street and shop number. Luckily, the organiser was kind enough to call me after i was half an hour late to ask about my whereabouts.

The people that came for this class were few, but of varying backgrounds. One of them, I found out much much later(which was today) to my embarassment, was Faridah Merican, Executive Producer of The Actor's Studio and founder of its Malaysian arm. She hadn't introduced herself as such, so later when we were out doing field work, which involved going out of class to observing people and make a story about it, I was asking her questions that everybody else seemed to know the answers to. GAH!! I'M AN IGNORAMUS!!

Anyways, enough lamenting. The class was mostly about the art and history of theatre; the Greeks whom had started what we call theatre today treated it as a not so much as entertainment than as a religion. From there, fast forward to a time before Shakespeare; it was entertainment. And by Shakespeare's time; provocative.

The art of theatre was simply described as an occurance within empty space defined as a stage. It could involve a man walking right by that space, and it would be called theatre.

No comments: